Back to guides

Building & Contents Insurance

Clock Icon

1 min read

Building insurance is a legal requirement to most mortgages, we can help you get this in place.

Horizontal Rule
Mortgage IQ Team
Mortgage IQ team

Last updated: 28 February 2022

What is Buildings Insurance?

This covers the building itself against things like fire or flood. It will also cover permanent or fixed fixtures and fittings in your home and garden, and any outbuildings that form part of your home.

If you own your home, buildings insurance is absolutely essential. If you have a mortgage, your lender will almost certainly demand you have a policy in place as a condition of your loan.

What is Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance protects your household good and personal possessions, such as electrical goods, jewellery, clothes and furniture.

You can add various options to your contents insurance that will provide additional cover. Two common enhancements are accidental damage cover and cover for possessions outside of the home. Some insurers include these additional options as standard.

If you are renting a property, you probably won’t need buildings insurance (as this will be the responsibility of the property owner), but you will need contents insurance.

As well as offering standalone contents insurance, most insurers offer ‘combined’ polices that also include buildings cover. This is usually the most convenient and cost- effective way to buy your home insurance if you need both types of cover.


Contact us

Our team are here to answer your questions, explore your options and help you find the solution to your mortgage and protection needs..

Compare mortgage quotes

Have an initial look at some mortgage options, you can discuss these with one of our expert advisers who have top industry knowledge to help you navigate the mortgage minefield.


Mortgage Calculator

Use our simple mortgage calculator to see how much you could potentially borrow. Remember this is indicative only, speak to an expert adviser for a full calculation, specific to you.

Learn more

Stamp Duty Calculator

It is important to consider other costs. Stamp Duty is a tax you might have to pay if you buy a residential property or a piece of land in England and Northern Ireland. Use our calculator to find out how much this may cost.

Learn more
IQ & Co

Invested in you.

IQ&Co provide a wide range of services whether you are looking to build, grow, protect or preserve your wealth.

Learn more